Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Gods and Gardening


One of the blessings and curses of working from home as I do, is that you   have lots of time to think; too often I’m distracted with thoughts of my next  deadline, but every once in awhile something manifests that catches my attention and holds it – an idea worth exploring, and sharing.

One sunny spring day I was outside taking a break from work, and began to  wonder why the Gods and Goddesses would have any interest in our lives. Why bother with us? We’re a quarrelsome motley bunch, self-centered and competing to survive; one tribe forever warring with another, over this space or that commodity.

And then I had a Shakespearean epiphany: (from his 29’Th Sonnet)
“Yet in these thoughts my self almost despising,
Haply I think on thee, and then my state,
Like to the lark at break of day arising
From sullen earth, sings hymns at heaven's gate”
I looked over at my wife’s garden, my spirit and mood instantly lifted as it occurred to me that our Gods and Goddesses must be gardeners!

Why do we garden? I happen to know that my wife loves the vast array of colors, textures and aromas of the different plants she cultivates. She tends to them with love and affection, protecting them from invasive weeds, and helping to cull competing species so her favorites may thrive.

Her garden becomes a work of art, perhaps a painting, the plants being the colors and textures in her palette. As the plants each pursue their selfish desires, and wage war with their neighbours for the brightest ray of sunshine, she hovers above and appreciates the whole. She sees the garden, the artwork she has helped bring into being.

Perhaps the Gods look down on us and marvel at their garden; weeding a little here, watering a little there.

Hail the Gardeners!

No comments:

Post a Comment