Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Birchbark Sunglasses? Cool trivia from Northern Plant Lore

Ray-Ban? Nope...Mother-Nature
One of the things I enjoy about writing, are all the little discoveries I make when researching a topic. For example, did you know you can make a pair of emergency sunglasses from Birch bark?


Etymologist Bill Casselman says:

Birchbark was used to make a quick pair of snow glasses by many northern peoples. During trips over snow in bright sunlight, a strip was tied around the head. Two small slits made in the bark over the eyes permitted some vision. 
Please sign up for my BLOG so you don't miss a thing! http://feeds.feedburner.com/EoghanOdinsson

Also, check out my Facebook page for my upcoming book on Northern Plant Lore  www.facebook.com/Northern.Plant.Lore

1 comment:

  1. I always wondered what they did to protect their eyes.

    ReplyDelete